Hello Parents! I just quickly checked the movie times for this Saturday, December 2nd and we will plan to see the 11:15 AM showing. If you’re thinking about joining in, once again, we will plan to meet outside the ticket area a little before 11:00. We’ll buy our individual tickets but try to group closer together-think more in the middle of the theatre. I hope to see you this weekend for some popcorn, movie, and fun!
Hello Parents! Are you ready to send those kiddos back?! I hope you had a great break and found some time together to relax and eat some yummy food! Check below for some updates for this week!
- Early release this Friday, December 1.
- For those interested, we will be meeting at Celebration Cinema at Rivertown crossings this coming Saturday. Time is still TDB as they have not posted the Saturday showings yet. I will post/email as soon as I find out. We will shoot for the first showing-likely 11:30!
- The Penguin Patch Holiday Shoppe will be in Georgetown next week. This is an opportunity for students to purchase gifts for their family members. Our class will be shopping on Wednesday, Dec 6th from 11:30-12:15.
- Georgetown Elementary Holiday Program is on Thursday, December 14 at Fair Haven.
- We are continuing to work on Unit 3: Multiplication and Division with Fractions.
- We are focusing on becoming powerful readers of narrative and expository nonfiction texts.
- We are diving into Unit 2: Three Worlds Meet.
- We’re learning about Native American cultural regions and how climate and natural resources influenced the culture that developed in each region.
- We are investigating the causes and effects of the changing landscape of the Sleeping Bear Dunes.
Hello Parents! I hope you’ve had a great week! We don’t have much in the way of an update for next week, mostly just a wish for you to have a wonderful Thanksgiving! I am so thankful for my time at Georgetown and your kiddos are making it extra special! So, THANK YOU for the wonderful job you’ve done in making them into wonderful people!
Optional Family Event Coming Up:
We’ve recently just finished reading, Wonder, by R.J. Palacio. For those that are not familiar with this book, Wonder is about a 5th grade boy, Auggie Pullman who was born with a severe facial deformity and his journey attending a mainstream school for the first time. The book is incredibly moving as it confronts readers with situations and reactions to someone who is different from them. We’ve had a good time reading it as a read aloud and it has provided great reactions, thoughts, and conversations.
Now, the film version of Wonder is about to come out and I thought it might be fun to provide a time for our class to see it together. My thoughts are as follows:
- We would meet at the Rivertown Crossings theatre in Grandville on Saturday, December 2nd. We will plan for the earliest time possible (late morning/early afternoon). This will be TBD as listing times won’t come out until a week before.
- We would buy tickets as close to each other as we can and enjoy the film together.
- Parents would need to be with your child during the movie.
- After the movie concludes, we would depart our separate ways.
- The film is rated PG and you can view the trailer here. This is not mandatory in any way and I absolutely respect the wishes of individual families regarding movies. In fact, one reason we’re waiting until a couple weeks after the release is so that you can look up the film’s content and make an informed decision about joining or not. Check out CommonSenseMedia.org for more information on the film’s content.
This might be a fun way to celebrate the end of our journey with these characters! Please consider and have a conversation with your child about this opportunity!
PLEASE COMPLETE THIS SURVEY TO LET ME KNOW YOUR LEVEL OF INTEREST- Wonder Interest Survey
Check out a couple things that we’ve done this week below!
- I enjoyed meeting with you for conferences! I’m glad to work as a team with you this year!
- Goodies Factory Fundraiser items will be delivered to Georgetown Elementary on Tuesday, Nov. 14. Items must be picked up between 3:00 and 5:30.
- PTC meeting – Thursday, Nov. 16th at 6:30 in the Georgetown Elementary Library-Join in!
- Thanksgiving Break: November 22-24!
- Cold Weather Apparel: Wintry weather is upon us! Please make sure that your child is dressed appropriately. We go outside for recess twice a day and only keep students inside if it is raining or if temperatures are extremely cold.
Yeehaw! Our scheduled shopping time for our book fair is tomorrow, Wednesday, November 8 from 10:00-10:30! Please remember to send along some money for your child to make purchases. I always encourage buying from the school Book Fair because it helps earn money for our school and it gets kids rootin’ and tootin’ about some new books-which us always a good thing in these parts! I always push for books to be purchased-not just the other stuff (keychains, toys, posters). Most paperback books are priced between $6.99- $8.99 and hardcovers are a little more. Our class already had a preview day yesterday and should have written down the prices on their wish lists for budgeting. Consult with your child and make a plan together to decide on what would be appropriate to purchase and how much “gold” they may spend.
For reference, here is a link to a Scholastic Book Trailer video which contains some fun book trailers that will be available at the fair. Select the grades “4-6 Highlights” tab for books geared for our age group.
I’m looking forward to hearing about some new and exciting books and seeing your kiddos saddlin’ up to read ’em in and around our room! (Apologies for the cowboy-lingo!)
Check out some of the things that we have coming up this week!
- We are looking forward to seeing you at conferences.
- Report cards will be sent home with students on Monday, Nov. 6.
- Our PTC is hosting a Scholastic book fair next week. Our class will shop on Wednesday from 10:00-10:15. The book fair will also be open for shopping during parent-teacher conferences.
- Jet’s pizza night is Thursday, November 9! Order pizza and mention your child’s teacher!
- Goodies Factory Fundraiser items will be delivered to Georgetown Elementary on Tuesday, Nov. 14. Items must be picked up between 3:00 and 5:30 that day.
- We are beginning our dive into unit 3 where we will be looking at multiplying and dividing fractions.
- Students are gathering evidence to write a literary essay analyzing a character from our book club books.
- We are investigating why water levels change in the Great Lakes over time.
We spent some time with our buddies in Mrs. Stutz’s class on Halloween doing some fun math activities. Check out the fun below!
Also, BIG Thank You to Hayley Banach who was noticed by Mrs. Reagan for representing our class with the values of Be Nice-Work Hard-Learn Well! She helped ear our class an OUTSTANDING! Well done, Hayley!
Lastly, we’ve finished reading our book club books and are starting to look back through them to hunt for evidence that supports our theories about character traits. This hard work now will make drafting our character essays simpler when we plug the information into our outlines!
Attention Parents! We are ready to process our fundraiser order and will be handing it over tomorrow! If there are any outstanding orders, please send them in NO LATER than tomorrow morning-Thursday, November 2nd! Orders that come in later will not be able to be fulfilled.