All About Me

Dear parents and students,

Welcome to my 5th-grade class at Georgetown!  I am very excited about our year ahead.  I anticipate a great year filled with exploration and accomplishment.  It will be a year of learning and growing as students, teachers, and parents work together, as a team, to create the best possible experience for each student and our class as a whole.  Our classroom community will be grounded in mutual respect, a comfortable environment that invites all questions, and a passion to make learning a lifelong adventure.

Please allow me to introduce myself.  I began pursuing a career in education by attending Grand Valley State University, where I received an undergraduate degree in English-Language Arts and Elementary Education.  After graduating, I taught at Grand Rapids Public Schools in a second-grade classroom. In the summer of 2009, my wife, Victoria, who is also a teacher, and I were fortunate to have had the opportunity to move and teach at an international school in the Netherlands. It was a wonderful experience where we interacted with families of a variety of cultural and ethnic backgrounds and exercised of our mutual love of travel. We also added our English bulldog, Zoe, to our family. After three years of living abroad, we decided to move back to West Michigan during the summer of 2012.  After this, I taught three years at Innocademy in Zeeland and two years in Grandville Public Schools.  

This summer has been very busy so far as Mrs. Cooley and I are chasing around our one-year-old son, Willem, as he is now walking!  It has been exciting to see him changing and learning new things every day!  He is pure joy and I can’t wait to share and funny stories with you all.

In my free time, I enjoy hiking and camping with family and friends, playing guitar and listening to music, and attending and performing in theatrical performances on local stages in the community. I also enjoy reading, cooking and all things coffee related!

In the weeks and months ahead, we will experience mathematics hands-on, investigate the world of science, discover the foundations of geography, delve into our imaginations through literature, and much more.

The best way to contact me is by email, at mcooley1@hpseagles.net.

Sincerely,

Matthew Cooley