Hello parents! Check out some happenings coming up in and around our classroom during the upcoming weeks!
Candy Cane Sale:
The annual candy cane sale is coming! Our 5th-grade classes will be selling candy canes to help raise money for their 5th-grade activities. The sale will be from Monday, December 3rd through Friday, December 14th. The cost for each candy cane is $1.00 and they will be delivered the same day they are ordered. Thank you in advance for your support!
Penguin Patch Holiday Shop:
The holiday shop will be available next week if the students wish to buy holiday presents for their loved ones. Our classroom’s shopping day will be Thursday, December 6th, from 10:00-10:45.
Holiday Music Program:
Georgetown’s holiday music program will be in the evening on Thursday, December 13th at Fair Haven Church. Watch the blog for future updates.
Friday, December 14th.
Holiday Class Party:
Our classroom holiday party will be on Friday, Dec. 21. We will be having a breakfast. Check out the SignUp.com link and instructions below:
We’re using SignUp.com to organize our upcoming SignUps. Here’s how it works in 3 easy steps:
- Click this link to see our SignUp on SignUp.com: http://signup.com/go/LasncUf
- Review the options listed and choose the spot(s) you like.
- Sign up! It’s Easy – you will NOT need to register an account or keep a password on SignUp.com.
Note: SignUp.com does not share your email address with anyone. If you prefer not to use your email address, please contact me and I can sign you up manually.
Math: Unit 3: Multiplication and Division with Fractions.
Students should continue practicing their math facts using Moby Max.
ELA: Non-Fiction Texts
- We are focusing on becoming powerful readers of narrative and expository nonfiction texts, as well as constructing written responses that give evidence to support our thinking.
- Reminder….The students are expected to read 100 minutes a week. As a parent please initial the log when they read at home, showing you confirm your child has read for the minutes recorded.
Social Studies: We’re continuing our social studies unit called Three Worlds Meet.
Science: We are investigating our science unit “Go with the Flow!”
Students simulated what Zebra Mussels do to water by filtering “dirty water” and obersving the before/after effects.
Students had to capture the process visually and describe the changes in writing.
Group members had different roles such as Material Collector, Set-up Coordinator, Task Performer, and Clean up Manager. All were responsible for data collection.
Students had to take what they learned and relate it back to a scenario we examined in class which was about how zebra mussels would affect a lake in which they were recently introduced.
The goal is to see that zebra mussels eat and “filter” material in bodies of water and make the water clearer. We will now begin the discussing how invasive species like zebra mussels impact the ecosystem.