3…2…1…Countdown to the First Day of School!

Hello parents! I am so excited for the first day of school!  I cannot wait to start this year off with your student in my room!  Here are a few things to help make the first day (and really, the next two weeks) successful:

1. Get excited!  When our enthusiasm shows, it’s contagious!  I believe in strong beginnings and getting to know one another, the routines, and content we’ll be learning. 
  2. Be flexible! These first days are all about getting the new routines solidified.  This is the time to ask questions, make mistakes, and learn from them.  With every new school year comes a whole new set of expectations. So, let’s grow together and be flexible while we’re learning from one another.
  3. Manage expectations! The first couple of weeks will be all about relationship building.  I believe that great learning cannot properly take place untilwe establish a foundation of trust, honesty, and collaboration.  That means that the first few days are going to be lighter with team-building and get-to-know-you activities.  Of course, we’ll sprinkle in some content, but don’t expect much homework in the first couple of weeks.

One final and important reminder:The weather forecast for the first few days of school looks H-O-T! Please send your child with a full water bottle labelled with her or her first and last name. We will take plenty of water breaks to stay healthy and hydrated.

We’re going to have a great year and I am so looking forward to getting to know your kiddos more!  Let’s have a great start!

Matt Cooley