Hello Parents! This week we have continued to work on our school routines and relationships. What a wonderful group of 5th graders we have as role models for Georgetown! As a school we practiced our safety drills this week. The kids did a great job of rehearsing the drill procedures.
- M-Step scores from last Spring were sent home on Friday with your child.
- Smile….picture day at Georgetown will be Thursday, September 27th.
A note about upcoming Reading Logs…
Our first reading unit this year is all about developing independence as readers. We have already been busy learning and reviewing things that powerful readers do. We know that reading, like any other skill, is developed through practice. This week, we will be learning that powerful readers keep and analyze reading logs. We will be logging our reading at school and home each day. I am asking students to keep track of the amount of time they spend reading at home each week. They are required to read a total of 100 minutes per week outside of school.
Reading logs will be coming home Monday in your child’s take home folder. Here are some guidelines for these reading logs:
- Students record the number of minutes read at home each day.
- Parents initial to verify the amount of time read each day.
- Each calendar month, students will get a new reading log and be responsible for recording their reading during the current week.
- All students will have the goal of reading 100 minutes at home each week. That is 20 minutes five times per week.