Spring Break Virtual Adventure – Monday, April 6!

Hello, friends!

In our classroom this year we’ve learned about some different experiences of groups or people who came to what is now America: We’ve learned or read about:

• The very first Native Americans who migrated from Asia
  • Early settlers who came from Europe to settle in the colonies for a variety of reasons
  • Kek, from Home of the Brave, a modern day immigrant who came to America to escape civil war in Sudan

Ellis Island was the first stop for more than 12 million immigrants who came to the United States between 1892 and 1954. Did you know that the Statue of Liberty was one of the first things people saw as they arrived in New York at Ellis Island? Who knows? Maybe some of your ancestors arrived at Ellis Island! Mrs. Ball’s great-grandpa immigrated from the Netherlands in 1932. She doesn’t know if he arrived at Ellis Island, but she does know the name of the ship he sailed on, and was am excited to do some research to find out.

I’ve been to New York several times, and I’ve had the opportunity to take a tour of Ellis Island. It’s such a unique place to visit! That is why I decided to tour it today! Click here for an interactive tour of Ellis Island. Click through the tabs at each location for photos, audio, and video! If you take the tour, leave a comment to let me know what you found surprising or interesting.

(Note: Comments on the blog are moderated, so they will not show up until I approve them.)

One thought on “Spring Break Virtual Adventure – Monday, April 6!